Karta – Digitizing Physical Addresses in Ethiopia; One House at a Time!
Let’s show support to our own innovators!
In this digital day and age, location based services are extremely important to create new business opportunities for entrepreneurs and create jobs for millions of people in Ethiopia. At the center of all this is the lack of digital data for physical addresses.
There is a new tech start up in Ethiopia with a big vision to resolve this problem. Karta (ካርታ), is an Ethiopian Startup with a big vision of providing a digital mapping solution for Ethiopia. Karta uses the local mapping infrastructure (subcity, district and house number) instead of street names (like used in other parts of the world) to pinpoint locations.
Now, this great start up is in a perfect position to bring about a big impact in Ethiopia. It has been selected to be among the 102 semifinalists out of 1705 international participants from 104 emerging economies for the 2016 Global Innovation through Science and Technology (GIST) Challenge. The GIST Tech-I Competition is an annual science and technology entrepreneurship competition that enables innovators to transform their communities through mentorship, visibility, and seed capital prizes. The competition is part of the U.S. Department of State’s Global Innovation through Science and Technology (GIST) Initiative and is implemented by the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS).
If Karta is selected by GIST, it could mean seed money to expand the development effort, mentorship by big American tech giants, and international visibility.
For Karta to be selected, our each and every single vote is needed. Voting started April 1st and ends May 1st. We all can cast our multiple times by doing it everyday. Please follow these simple steps to show your support:
- Click here to visit the voting website.
- Click on the REGISTER button at the top right-hand corner of the page, this will take you to the registration page.
- Once you completed the registration, an activation email will be sent to your inbox. Click on the link to activate your voting account.
- Now that you have registered, login to your account and navigate to here.
- Once you are on the voting page, navigate to the EMERGING ECONOMIES drop down menu and select ETHIOPIA.
- After you selected ETHIOPIA, you will see the name TEWODROS ROBI and the startup KARTA. Click on the vote button below the video.